Saturday, August 1, 2009

German Chocolate Bars


Anything "German Chocolate" always reminds me of my dad. Every year for as long as I can remember he always has German Chocolate Cake for his Birthday. For some reason I'm not a big fan of cake. Most of the time it is too dry. I like cake if it is really really moist. But, I LOVE the coconut pecan frosting that goes on the cake. I make it and put it on just about anything, including ice cream, brownies, cookies...anything. Anyway, I came across this recipe for German Chocolate Bars and thought I'd give it a try. It is super easy and only has 5 ingredients! The bottom is like a cookie and the top is like a brownie, with the frosting in the middle. This is a totally semi-homemade recipe since it uses a boxed mix and a jar of the store bought frosting, but it tastes totally homemade. That's the best kind of recipe when you don't have to do all the work, but you can take all the credit!

German Chocolate Bars

2/3 c. butter softened
1 box German Chocolate Cake mix
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 containter Coconut Pecan Frosting
1/4 c. milk

Heat oven to 350o. Lightly grease 9 x 13 pan. In medium bowl, cut butter into cake mix, using pastry blender, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Press half of the mixture into bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked layer. Drop frosting by tablespoonfuls over chocolate chips. Stir milk into remaining cake mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto frosting layer. Bake 24-28 minutes or until cake portion is slightly dry to touch; cool completely. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into bars.


2 comments:

  1. I made these bars and took them to work everyone loved them!!! They all asked for the recipe - they are soooo easy and soooo good!!! Very Rich And Delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making these right now.. I'm excited to see if they are going to be as good as they look.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails